£1 a day

We're taking the challenge of living below the extreme poverty line, spending just £1 a day, to raise money for charity, but also to experience it and enhance our compassion. People all over the world have less than £1 a day to live on, which has to provide food, shelter and utilities. We have so much provided for us, but we are going to eat for just £1 a day. The challenge doesn't begin until May 2012, but you can read about last years experience here.

Is foraging allowed?

Tuesday 3 May 2011

Today I made probably our most expensive meal of the week at nearly 40p a portion!! It's okay though, as Matt and I were both well under budget with breakfasts at less than 20p each.

I made us something I'm reluctant to call risotto, and more like soupy-rice. I did open a packet of tofu (which is where the expense came from) and we had Thai chicken cup of soup and rice with tofu and....

...Some foraged herbs. That's okay though, right? I didn't pay for them, and really if I was poverty stricken and the school was growing lemon balm right outside my front door I would definitely have some. And realistically, if we were to do this in the autumn, The kids and I'd definitely be spending afternoons at the priory country park eating blackberries.



I was quite proud of my creation until I tasted it.



Unfortunately the soup had far too much chilli in it (mental note, one sachet between two would have been fine, there was no need to add a second) and although there was a carton of creme fraiche taunting me in the fridge, I knew I couldn't have it as it wasn't on budget. So I used strawberry yoghurt.

I know, not the best combo, but you've gotta work with what you got.

Anyhow, it actually didn't taste too bad, and made some pretty sizeable portions. It's probably a bigger lunch than I'd normally eat (but equally decidedly less tasty) so I should be okay with something small for dinner. Not sure about Matt though. He's looking pretty hungry most of the time.


Finally, The most challenging thing so far has been watching Will drink delicious Welches white grape pear juice that I so desperately want for myself.


- Kj
Xxx

0 comments:

Post a Comment